The Wiki for Tale 5 is in read-only mode and is available for archival and reference purposes only. Please visit the current Tale 10 Wiki in the meantime.
If you have any issues with this Wiki, please post in #wiki-editing on Discord or contact Brad in-game.
Wheat was introduced to Tale 4 with a roleplaying event on June 21, 2009.
To use wheat for any purpose other than planting, it must be dried. Similar to drying straw, wheat can be dried by dropping it on the ground, or by placing it in a Drying Rack or Flax Hammock (up to 100 at a time). Upon drying, it becomes Wheat (Dried, Raw) -- the strain no longer matters. Wheat (Dried, Raw) can be roasted in a Grain Oven to produce Wheat (Light Roasted), Wheat (Medium Roasted), Wheat (Dark Roasted), and Wheat (Burnt).
- Wheat Extract at a Kitchen, it takes 20,000 wheat. Was used in tale 3 as part of the cure for the plague.
- Test of Leavened Bread (Tale 3) Needed specific seasons of wheat to bake bread.
Raw wheat, not dried, is the only type that can be planted. It is listed in inventory by season and variety. To grow wheat you must choose a variety that matches the current season , and is grown on the correct terrain type.
- Season are
- Akhet seasonals
- Peret seasonals
- Shemu seasonals
- Unknown season
- Palo Maymbe - Sand
- Candomble - Unknown yet
- Tunnen#66 - Dirt
- Vodun (Tunnen#129) - Dirt
To grow wheat, once you have the correct variety and season , you only need water. Lots of water. Wheat will go through a series of weeds and only becomes available to harvest , once all of the weeds are gone. You will most likely need to water several times . This is completely random. Some beds will harvest after a few waterings , others can take close to an hour or more. If you fail to water within a give time , the wheat will die , and no seed will be given back. Use caution as it is lag sensitive. To get the best yields for your time , here are a few tips...
- Do not let the beds touch each other, as this can result in the message "For some reason, the wheat stalks were weak, and no good grain could be harvested.".
- Try to grow wheat with spouse or friends , the more wheat beds around , the higher the yields.
- Try to devote at least an hour of uninterrupted game time to growing , the longer a bed sits on the ground , usually the higher the yield at harvest.
- A single person should be able to grow 25 (5x5) beds at once. But might want to start with a 2x2 and expand. Using the hotkeys W = water and H = harvest with your left hand and the right hand on the mouse to scroll over the beds works great. F8camera angle can help too. Hold down on the W key as you scroll , as soon as a bed looks mostly green and weed free , use the H key to harvest.
- Grow near a water source , Your going to need a lot of it.
- Replant a bed in your grid , as soon as you harvest.
- If you do not have a Wheat Silo available , Have a warehouse within reach for stashing.
- If you grow for about an hour, without interruption, and have several beds planted, you should start seeing harvest near 300+ per bed.
- If you see all of you beds die at once , you might have been hit by a lag spike , and will need to start over , this is why having a spouse helping can be a great asset. The more the merrier when growing wheat , just use a voice chat : )
TIP : Just plant lots of beds, stand near water, then hit the W hotkey all the time for like an hour and u will get over 250 wheat each plant. Pheros 6.June2010
Once you have harvested 1500 wheat, you may grow it as an offline chore. It appears in your inventory as Wheat (Dried, Raw), as opposed to seeds of a particular strain and season.
Theories on Growing Wheat
- Wheat does send the acid level to 0 when grown in large amounts in a particular area. This area can spread out to 100+ cords. What effects this has on the area in not known. Acid levels will return to normal after wheat has not been grown. This can takes days/weeks. It has been suggested , but not tested , that the acid levels can be adjusted using lime and sulfur. That maybe an ideal acid level , can increase the amount of harvested grain from a wheat bed or cut down on the amount of weeds. More testing needs to be done on this subject.
Tale 3 guide to wheat. Tale 3